Memoirs of a stash junkie

a.k.a the inane ramblings of a mind filled with fluffy stuff...

Friday, October 27, 2006

Banished

Yes, that's right, Gemma and her wool dyeing escapades have been banished to the cellar. Using the kitchen wasn't a problem while I was just using Koolaid, but yesterday I branched out into using Omega all in one acid dyes and it's been decided that perhaps that's something best done out of the food preperation area. So himself has moved the microwave downstairs for me and got a new one for the kitchen, so I can create masterpieces without worrying about contaminating anything. I use the term masterpieces loosely incidently.




















So there is the first attempt at acid dyeing, 200g of aran weight BFL which we shall name 'stormy seas' for the purposes of this blog. It is a lot patchier that it appears in the pics, they are flattering my dodgy first try to be honest, but I went at it exactly like I dye Koolaid, and now I have a better idea at how the dyes take (in the case of the marine blue with apparently no rhyme or reason at all but I shall work on that) hopefully my next attempt will be better. I hope. Still, it was fun, if not a little more nervy than dyeing with Koolaid, mainly because to my shame I still suck my thumb at night and I was terrified of poisoning myself. Good time to give up the thumb methinks.















Look! Grown up knitting! My first attempt at lace, (seems this week is a good week for first attempts!) it's going to be a birthday present for my SIL, and when it's done it will hopefully look like this but this is me we're talking about so don't hold your breath. It's also quite dependant on me winning some more of the yarn i'm using on Ebay which may backfire. Nothing ventured nothing gained though!

Stitch & Bitch last night, good as ever! Treated myself to a granola bar which was scrummy, and hopefully not too denting to the diet.

When is it ever going to stop raining! The window in the front room leaks and so we have to have a bowl stationed underneath to catch all the water. And we are the house of ill bills, everyone is unhealthy! The kids and stu have stinking colds, and I seem to have a permanent headache. Yak. And worst of all, on tuesday i'm having a root filling at the sedation clinic and i'm scared witless. Boooooo.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabyLongLegs said...

That wool looks FABAROONIE Gemma!!!
And I love the idea of a workroom all to myself...you'll be in heaven!!!
The lace is fab too...grown up knitting indeed!
Love
Sarah xXx

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home